Mar 24, 2010

Chewy!!

It is Wednesday night and I have some bad news to report. Despite taking all my vitamins, and drinking plenty of fluids, I have come down with a nasty cold. I stayed home this morning and was able to sleep in a little bit. But I did go to school in the afternoon. I missed language class in the morning but I didn’t miss the highlight of the day. As we were entering the school after lunch, we were told to join this group of students and follow them. They were wearing these red sashes and the whole situation resembled some government event. I asked to put on a sash just for fun and they gave me one. But as it turns out, we weren’t part of some initiation scheme but actually it was an act of good will. We followed the student to the public bus and we went to a Chinese nursing home where we visited with the old people. While we had a very hard time communicating with them we had a student that acted as our guide/translator throughout the trip. One cute story is that an old guy we were from, and in Chinese we replied America. And he gave us thumbs up and said that America was good. I really felt like I was doing the work of Hilary Clinton there; an ambassador of the USA! Anyways after passing out food ad visiting we returned to the school with our democratic roots still intact.

We started the AFS Olympics today. We have two teams of three that will compete every day in a different event. Today was 3 vs 3 basketball, and I am happy to report that with my Bees basketball roots, we won the first gold medals of the AFS Olympiad! We will choose a different event tomorrow.

Oh and about Twisted Tuesday, yesterday I was in charge of the harvest for our weekly tradition, so naturally I chose the grossest edible thing I could find. This week’s Twisted Tuesday food was ...... Pig Intestine! And let me tell you this, if the sight of the intestine wasn’t enough to gross you out, the smell of this long strand of small intestine would. I gathered the other two participants and when I opened the bag the rancid 'bathroom like' smell of this thing punched us right in the face. We used our knives to cut a small piece and after a short motivational speech we plopped them in and took a bite. The first bite caused intestine juices to squirt out of the morsel and into our mouth. The texture was that our rubber tube, so unless you swallowed in whole, it had to remain in your mouth for quite a while before it was broken up enough to swallow. This was by far the worst thing I had ever tasted! But knowing me, one was not enough so I alone went back for a second bite, and then alone a third and fourth. On this day, I feel that I had done myself, my family, and my country proud and have proven to the world that I was a man! Ha-ha but enough kidding around it was seriously gross. Who knows what we will find next week for Twisted Tuesday, but I would bet that I will only go up hill from here!
Peace and Love!

2 comments:

  1. Ben, it's Rick Eimers again...I am loving this blog of yours. I'm addicted! I am looking forward to having you home some time soon, but I sure hope you're doing well. What are the church services like in China? I'd love to hear about the experience about how they worship...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You go Ben, the take home message I guess is God bless Mom's cooking. It is awesome to follow your blog. I was a bit busy lately, but the Marching band just came back from Disney and they seem to have had a blast. Mrs. Bishai survived her fist and probably last chaperoning experience of a lifetime.

    ReplyDelete