Mar 30, 2010

Happy Easter

Greetings from everybody and Happy Early Easter,
Evidently as I was informed today Easter is on Sunday! So I know that I will be much different here for Easter but I will try to celebrate it anyway I can. This weekend my family is actually taking a short train trip to HanDan. This is where my laolao lives. (laolao is my host mother’s mom) My parents say that it is a quaint small city, but I’ll believe it when I see it. Anyways I have arranged to go to an Easter service on Sunday in Handan. I’m not sure if it’s Catholic or other denomination, or even what language it’s in but still it will be nice to go and celebrate the birth resurrection of our Lord! Oh and it seems that Monday the 5th is a holiday here in China. I’m not sure what exactly is going down here but I have heard that there is no school and that it’s a holiday to honor the dead. I’m looking forward to seeing what this holiday entails for the Chinese, but all I know is that they can’t top Easter!

Anticipations are high here at #42 middle school as three of our American friends are just a few days away from hearing about acceptance to Harvard! We have big plans for if/when they get in and are all really excited to hear the good news.

I know I haven’t post in a while so i am trying to remember anything of interest that has happened. On Friday night, I went to my Austrian friend David's house for dinner. His mom is a Saint! Anyways after dinner we rode back up to the school and we set up a projector and about 10 of us watched a movie. It ended a little after 10:30 and we cleaned up a little bit, and went to leave but we found ourselves locked inside the school. After about 15 minutes of frantic searching for an exit, a guard walked by to see what the noise was and we luckily escaped alive!

Saturday my host mom had here two family friends over and they each had a daughter that came to 'play with us'. This play date really turned out to be a free English lesson from the master. However I have learned that while i can speak English well, I can’t spell very well. This sometimes is a problem; it’s never good when the Chinese correct my spelling.

Today for twisted Tuesday I wasn’t about what we ate, but about what I did that was memorable. I had my classmates cut my hair! I went to the market and bought a pair of really cheap trimmers and had the amateurs do work. Let’s just say that I am extremely happy that hair grows back. Evidently a 4 in the USA is not even close to a 4 in China. So after the first buzz i realized that it would be much too short. It turned out to be a nice buzz cut though and we made a great memory so i am happy. That’s really the key here in china and with anything else in life really. There will always be things that you can pout about or that can bring you down but you can let those things pull you down, just be optimistic and your day will be much brighter. Well I bet that this was a much more pleasant twisted Tuesday post that last week so it was a break for both you and my stomach!

I want to wish everybody the happiest of Easters, Don’t get caught up in the manmade portions of the holiday but really take some time, as i will do, and reflect apon the real meaning of the holiday. Enjoy the time spent with your family, for I now realize after about a month away just how much family means. So happy Easter to all! I’ll catch back up with you after our long weekend at Handan! Love and Peace!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for writing, Ben. Happy Easter to you as well! Rick Eimers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking of you OFTEN Ben. Read those little notes I sent with you. May God continue to guide and protect you. Aunt Beth

    ReplyDelete