Mar 17, 2010

Welcoming Spring with a Big Bang (Fireworks!!)

Greetings to all,
We’ve been hard at work trying to keep up with these Germans. It has proven difficult because we are forced to translate from their poor English with our poor Chinese. This can be frustrating sometimes but usually it works out fine. I have had a lot of fun showing them around, and having them taste different things. I know I have only been here for three weeks but it seems like I have learned a lot more than just three weeks worth. The school has planned a full agenda for the Germans and us to enjoy.

On Monday we had an “opening ceremony” where teachers welcomed the Germans and the German’s presented gifts. It was a bit strange when the “party chair women” of the school spoke, but still a good way to kick off their visit. They then had some basic Chinese lessons and a tour around the campus. We took them out into the markets to show them the real China. Unfortunately they always go home for lunch so they don’t have a chance to try the street food. In the afternoon we took them to the “Water Park” and we all walked around and went Go Carting again.

On Tuesday we had Taiji practice in the morning, this is a different routine than we had practiced so we were in the same boat learning as they were. We then had to endure 2 presentations/ lectures about Chinese Food culture and Places of Interest in China. This was a drag! In the afternoon we visited the “Shijiazhuang Hanging Garden” This was a neat place. It was a huge indoor garden center, on the 7th floor of a hotel. Inside their were trees and plants, of course, but also activates that you could pay to do. They had arcades, rock climbing, paddle boats, swimming, and even a high ropes course.

And finally today we had Taiji practice again, and then had Handicrafts and Calligraphy. Grandma, you would have been so proud of me! We were doing some sort of knitting/sewing. I actually enjoyed calligraphy a lot though. We had this great instructor who took us step by step and we ended up making a leaf with berries falling off. In the afternoon we attended regular Chinese class and interacted with our Chinese classmates.

Oh and I almost forgot to mention that yesterday myself and two class mates started an unusual tradition. We call it “twisted Tuesdays” and so every Tuesday we will go to the market and get something totally bizarre to eat. Yesterday we kicked it off right with on the grossest things I have ever seen. And the food of the week is… drum role please… Pigs Head! We bought one half of a pig’s head for 15 yuen and the three of us eat it! EWWWW! I know! I have pictures so you can see exactly what I am talking about. It really didn’t taste that weird, we pulled out our pocket knives and dissected it and only eat what we thought was edible. It wasn’t so much the taste that was weird so much as the thought of what we were eating. But we survived the meal, and are eager to see what ends up on our plate next week 

Also, today is the first day of spring and guess how the Chinese celebrate? Fire works. Right now it sounds like world war three is going on outside. There are fireworks everywhere! On my way to school I stepped out my front door and a guy was blowing some off right out side or windows! And you wouldn’t believe the sounds/ views on my way home from the gym. This is the fourth of July on steroids. It is so awesome though! I‘m not exactly sure the myths about today, but I do know that they do have something to do with dragons waking up and flying around.

Well i’m going to sign off for know, I will try to drown out the fireworks with my iPod so hopefully I will be able to fall asleep! Love and Peace- 简杰明

No comments:

Post a Comment